Sunday, October 30, 2011

returning...

In less than 24 hours I will be taking off for the continent of Africa--specifically Niger. Although I'm not too nervous now, I know by morning I will be. Flying 20+ hours internationally by myself is a bit daunting. I think I'm more nervous, though, about returning to the continent of my birth. It hasn't really sunk in. I won't be going home, but I will be getting closer than I have been in 6 years. I've changed quite a bit since being gone and I'm a little nervous about how I will react to the Nigerian culture.

Here are some ways I've changed:

When I left Africa I was 16. Now I am 22.
When I left Africa I had braces. Now I have straight teeth.
When I left Africa I had poor eyesight. Now I have contacts.
When I left Africa I disliked the cold. Now ... I still dislike the cold.
When I left Africa I was in high school. Now I have 5 weeks left of college.
When I left Africa I was super tan. Now I am white 10 months out of the year.
When I left Africa I was bitter and angry. Now I have grown to love and trust my Jesus more deeply.

I'm sure there are more changes than just those listed, but that gives you a general idea.

See you all in Niger!!!

1 comment:

  1. We are waiting to welcome you to a new home! We are so glad you are coming.

    ReplyDelete