Sahel Academy, the school where I teach, was headed to Ouaga for the annual softball tournament. I accompanied the team as assistant cook! You wouldn't believe how excited I was to go back to Burkina. I was so excited that I felt obligated to take a picture the moment we entered Burkina Faso.
You are looking at Burkina Faso! Beautiful isn't it? :) I took this picture when our caravan was stopped at one of the 5 or 6 border stops. The fine building on the right is the restroom, in case you were curious. Make sure you bring your own toilet paper.
Looking at this beautiful flag, I knew I was in the right country!
I couldn't wait to arrive at ISO (International School of Ouagadougou) where I went to school for some of the happiest school days of my life.
ISO has changed a lot since I was there. It has nearly doubled in size, has added an entire new secondary building, a "covering", for lack of a better word, over the basketball court, and has made several other advancements.
One of my bestest/closest friends from high school is working as a teacher's assistant at ISO this year. Her name is Beka. It was a tremendous blessing being able to stay at her house this weekend. We walked around campus, reminiscing, sharing memories, and pretending we were 16 again!
Isn't she beautiful? I love this girl!
My locker used to be right here! To my left is where Mr. Collins' classroom was. Geography, Comparative Government and Politics, and African Studies. Certainly not easy classes, but he was the best high school teacher I ever had. He was also the teacher I locked out of the classroom and made climb in through a window! But that's another story...
This is where I was inspired to be an English teacher. Well, okay, I'm not sure if that's exactly true, but this was my English classroom. First Mr. Loewen (his father gave a lecture at my university) and then Ms. Keeney.
Here's the soccer field/softball field where I spent a lot an exorbitant amount of time playing soccer, softball, ultimate frisbee, flag football, etc.
Despite the noonday heat, Beka accompanied me on a walk to my old house, two blocks from the school.
Rachelle, do you recognize this place? Your street hasn't changed much at all.
I miss the conversations we'd have on our bikes, headed home after soccer practice.
Almost there!
When the rains would come in the summer, this road used to flood completely and I would go romping around in the thick red filthy water.
Where the red container is, used to be a little boutique where we would buy bread in the morning and cokes on Sunday afternoons. It was also at this boutique where the guys started calling Erika "Blanco!" (Blanco meants whiteout in English!)
Finally, home!
The walls have changed.
The gate has changed.
It looks way better now!
I met some old friends on the way back to ISO!
Tony, do you think you could fix this up for me and make it run again?
Without a doubt, the best part of being back in Ouaga, was being able to see some old dear friends.
I didn't know Hyejin when I went to ISO, but we were friends at ESU.
She is working in Burkina for a year. What fun to see her!
Mr. Ouedouda was my PE teacher. I always had so much fun in his class. When I first saw him Friday afternoon, I ran up to him with tears in my eyes and gave him a huge hug. He pulled out my senior picture that I had sent him and said he was just thinking about me the other day. Isn't that sweet?
Do you old FES-ers recognize this guy? Last time I saw Robbie Shafto he was in elementary school. (He was a wiseman for a Christmas play I wrote for FES one year!) Now he's a senior...and a great softball player, I might add!
I had a great time visiting with old friends--literally and figuratively! heehee! I wasn't able to see everyone, but I guess that just means I have to go back!
This post totally made me tear up!!!!
ReplyDeleteI want to go back to Africa! GREAT post, Linds!!!!
ReplyDelete