Saturday, June 19, 2010

killing the giants


The theme of this past week was "Killing the Giants." Students and staff were challenged to face fears--especially pertaining to evangelism. Thus, practically every night, there was some kind of outreach. It was very stretching and somewhat exhausting! I had some great conversations, though. Here's a little glimpse of one:

I talked to a Swedish girl, Krystal, who was full of questions and completely open to discussion. It was one of the best conversations I have ever had while sharing the Gospel. After an interesting survey, the girl I was sharing with walked Krystal through the Knowing God Personally (KGP) booklet. We spent lots of time on each of the four points discussing faith, sin, grace, etc. One of the things she said was, "I don't want someone else to have to pay my sin for me." I told her that Jesus Christ had already done that; she didn't have to accept it; she could pay for her own sin, but that wouldn't change the fact that Jesus died on the cross for her. When we came to the two circles under the fourth point, she knew she was the circle on the left, and living a life for self and not for Christ. When asked what circle she wanted to have represent her life she said she wanted to stay on the circle on the left, but would one day choose the circle on the right. My partner and I tried to explain the urgency of time and how people are not always given tomorrow. I asked her who was paying for the sins in the circle where self was in charge and Christ was on the outside. She answered correctly: "myself." I then asked her where, according to all that we had talked about, that person would spend eternity. Her response: "So, I'm going to hell." So many times during this conversation I thought she was going to indicate a decision to believe Jesus Christ, but she didn't. We left her with the KGP and when we walked by later she was reading through it again. It was a heartbreaking conversation--her eagerness, sweetness, and openness in asking questions, and then her satisfaction with going to hell.

That's just a little snapshot of the kind of conversations that have taken place this week. My friend and I were talking, and we have both noticed how we have been able to go through the KGP after the initial surveys so much more this summer than last summer. And there have already been numerous people who have given their life over to Christ. The stories are incredible! It's so exciting! Keep praying!

P.S. This picture is of two of my co-staffers in a spiritual conversation. They talked to this girl for probably an hour and a half. Can you tell which two are staff and which one is not? heehee! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment