Saturday, November 12, 2011

The International Sport of Soccer -- Le Football

As many of you know, soccer is my all-time favorite sport. It's a beautiful sport. Elegant. Refined. Vigorous! I've heard, from some reliable and some not-so-reliable sources that on average, professional players run close to 6 miles in a game. This year is the soccer cup of Africa. It's called la Coupe d'Afrique des Nations (la Can). This year, the professional soccer team of Niger qualified for the first time.

Although I have yet to meet any of the professional players, I have seen several of the soon-to-be professional players working on mastering their skill. (Isn't the view great with the Niger River in the background?)

 Check out the fine quality of the field, the shin guards, the ball, and the cleats!



And who is in charge of keeping this field nicely mowed, you might ask? The local goats. They come to munch away the excess garbage during the day. 

And if you aren't in favor of playing on a field with a downward slant, here's a second alternative. 






As I mentioned, la République de Niger finally qualified for la CAN 2012! EVERYONE is excited. There are billboards advertising the game, the team, the sport, and the upcoming wins all over town.



It's so fun to finally be surrounded by mutual soccer fans. Where there is a TV, there is soccer on. Beautiful. My heart is content.

There's a group of kids that play right outside of our house every evening. Maybe I'll go join them...with my pagne of course!

Confession: when the time comes, I will still cheer for Burkina Faso. "Allez les étalons!!!"

Last interesting fact about my life and le CAN and how the two connect: one year the CAN was held in Burkina Faso and I was able to go watch Burkina Faso play! Say what???!!!!! I know. 'Nuf said!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your blog posts. So creative and well written! Good job Dider! And I remember when we went to the CAN games in Ouaga. Burkina was only allowed to play (they weren't qualified) because they were the hosts of the tournament! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burkina has qualified this year because they are so good.
    Alley les Etalon

    ReplyDelete