Saturday, January 10, 2015

25 Bucket List #10: the Windy City Day 4

The last day in Chicago. 
Every day so far we had eaten breakfast in our hotel room, but since it was our last day, we splurged and had breakfast at a French restaurant.
It is such a delicious restaurant. 
While my friends ordered a well-balanced protein-rich breakfast, I chose some of my favorite carbs in the world!
Yes, that is a bowl of coffee. Legit! We all really enjoyed our food and the environment. It was a busy place, but super "earthy," natural, and organic. There were tons of different kinds of bread to choose from and on each table was an entire assortment of different jams, jellies and other spreads (including chocolate ones) to try.

Our last sight to see in Chicago was the Museum of Science and Industry.

This place was awesome!!!
One of the highlights for all 3 of us was being able to ride in the Red Baron simulation plane. 
(We all watched the movie The Red Baron last year together and we love it!) 
Since there were 4 per row, Doh had the privilege of sitting next to a little boy. The kid would get smushed every time the plane tilted to the right and then poor Doh was nearly squashed by the boy every time the plane then dipped to the left. 
Oh how we giggled! 
The plane flew us over France and we could see the countryside on the screen in front of us. 
After a harrowing battle, we landed safely and the boy asked, "So, did we win?" 
I guess he hasn't studied world history in school yet.

There is an exorbitant amount of things to see in this museum. While we were in the wing with all the planes (heehee!) I had to take a picture with the Wright brothers plane for Dad. After all, he loves their biography.

Doh found fun places to take pictures.
Don't I have the prettiest friends?

I found R2D2!
Pretty neat, huh?!

On every level were tons of different experiments to watch--some several stories high--like the tornado.

We read about and watched all kinds of science-y things and wished Gowoon was with us to explain them all.

We walked through an old town.

We learned about trains (how they run and their history) and saw huge life-size engines and small ones.
 Oh hey! It's Chicago!
 The expositions are massive and so detailed.

There were quotes throughout the museum which were fun to read. Here's one:

The coolest part of the museum, is being able to see the U-505 Submarine, an actual German submarine from World War 2!!!
 It's the one that was captured by the US off the coast of Africa and secretly hauled all the way back to the States! 
It's so hard to capture the immensity of it.

Before you reached the submarine, there was this long gallery full of huge World War 2 newspaper articles and pictures. I don't know if it was my journalism blood or my love of authentic sources, but I thought it was really cool. I wish I would have had time to read each one. Those of you who know me know I love history and I'm usually the last person to leave a history museum because I'm reading every single sign and poster! Right, Mom? 

Sherlynn and I tried the bunks.

It was interesting to read about the German prisoners of war, how high-risk the mission was, the years of secrecy that the soldiers had to promise to keep, etc. This was a part of WW2 history I didn't know much about. 
How God sovereignly orchestrated each event (from the smallest to the most significant) of this mission so that the US was able to capture this German submarine is incredible! After reading about the danger and the intricacy of the mission, how it played a vital part in helping the Allies win the war, Sherlynn and I couldn't help but marvel at how Great a God we serve!

What a great day at the museum! 
I would highly recommend it to anyone.

There was just enough time to grab some Greek food in a small restaurant nearby before heading back to our hotel.
We got off one stop too soon so took a little scenic walk.

Once back at the hotel, we picked up our bags, said farwell to Doh, and then Sherlynn and I took a taxi to the airport while Doh headed to the train station.

In an airport once again, we had some time to kill before boarding our plane. 
Believe it or not, but we stumbled upon one last "museum" to tour. Did you know that Midway airport is named after the Battle of Midway? I had to take one last picture.
I have the coolest cousin! 

What a fun trip! 
We praised our Heavenly Father for safety, good times, and good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment