This post will appear a bit random as it is a highlight of a few of the things I've been doing since Melissa left.
Every Saturday morning there is an outdoor market in downtown Rennes. It is enormous! You can find anything you need from fresh fruits and vegetables, spices, cheese, bread, jam, and flowers, to wine and chocolate, meat and fish (all all types), pastries, Chinese food, and crêpes. I forgot my grocery bag at home, so wasn't going to buy anything...until I found the bread section. I crumbled (pun intended) and bought a scrumptious loaf of multi-grain bread. Then, I figured, since I had more room in my purse, why not buy some more? I added tomatoes and bananas to my purchases and returned home fully satisfied!
My favorite section of the market, by far, were the massive amounts of fresh flowers!
Saturday evening, I attending Halle's dance recital. I had never attended a ballet recital before and thoroughly enjoyed this new experience. Halle did an amazing job and smiled the whole time she danced. It would be impossible to watch her dance and not enjoy it.
And then there was the situation with the cat.
Yesterday, I happened to glance out my balcony doors and see this in the apartment across the courtyard.
Here's a picture zoomed out so you can see just how high up the poor cat is.
(Second window to the right, top floor.)
In my mind, I yelled "Hold on! Don't move! I need to get my camera!" I was rather nervous for the poor thing, but consoled myself with the thought that if it did jump, it would land on all four feet! I felt a bit guilty just standing there taking pictures and then realized I probably looked more like a creeper than anything else! (Hopefully nobody else was watching.) I think it was a "scaredy cat" because eventually it somehow turned around and went back inside. Phew! Who knew Melissa's apartment neighborhood could be so exciting?!!?!
The other day, the sun was out and the sky was bright blue, so I grabbed Melissa's picnic blanket and went outside to read in the park.
I was enjoying the sunshine and solitude, but my tranquility was soon interrupted by this:
School kids. Sigh. The kids looked to be in about first grade and they spent the next 30-45 minutes building variations of the human pyramid. Fascinating! Ana, Brock, Marcy, I realize you don't teach first grade, but I think human pyramids are a great idea for elementary kids, don't you?!
Such exciting times here in Rennes, huh?! :)

You capture your time in Rennes very well. I would have loved to market shop with you. I do however wonder how the tomatoes made it home in your purse! -A. Terry
ReplyDeleteI'm so enjoying reading about your time in France! Your language is picturesque. Eat a croissant for me. :)
ReplyDelete